Bacteriological Profile and antibiogram of isolates from tracheal secretions of patients in an intensive care unit


Original Article

Author Details : Y Saritha, Pradeep M.S.S*, N. V. D. Bhavani Balla, Nazia Begum Mohammed, Vishnuvardhan Rao K

Volume : 7, Issue : 4, Year : 2021

Article Page : 250-256

https://doi.org/10.18231/j.ijmmtd.2021.052



Suggest article by email


Abstract

Introduction: Hospital-acquired pneumonia (HAP) is defined as an infection in patients admitted in hospital for more than 48hours, and ventilator associated pneumonia (VAP) can be defined as infection occurring in patients admitted in ICU after 48hrs endotracheal intubation and mechanical ventilation. VAP has a mean of 7.3/1000 ventilator days for medical ICU patients and 13.2/1000 ventilator days for surgical ICU patients. The crude mortality rates for HAP are approximately 10% and are higher for VAP, ranging from 20% to 60%. The culture of endotracheal (ET) aspirates will help know the etiological agent and formulate the antibiotic policy for early treatment.
Objectives: To isolate the bacterial pathogens of ET secretions from patients with VAP and know their antibiotic susceptibility pattern.
Results: In the present study, out of 102 endotracheal secretions from cases of VAP, 88 samples (86.27%) were culture positive, and the remaining 14 samples (13.73%) were culture negative. Out of the 88 positive cultures, 62 samples (60.78%) showed growth of single isolates, and 26 samples (25.49%) showed multiple isolates. Out of the 114 isolates, 18 isolates (15.8%) were gram positive organisms, and 96 isolates (84.2%) were gram negative organisms. Of the gram positive isolates, the predominant organism was Methicillin resistant (MRSA) (55.56%), followed by Methicillin sensitive (MSSA) (22.22%) and (22.22%). Out of the gram negative isolates, the predominant organism was (36.46%), followed by Acinetobacter spp (25%), (23.96%), (12.5%), (1.04%), and Proteus mirabilis (1.04%). In the present study, Gram positives isolates showed the highest susceptibility to vancomycin and linezolid (100%), and gram negative isolates showed the highest susceptibility to polymyxin B (100%) and meropenem (47.92%).
Conclusion: The study gives insight into the bacterial pathogens and their antibiotic susceptibility patterns of isolates from endotracheal secretions of mechanically ventilated patients to prevent the mortality and morbidity of mechanical ventilation and VAP, helping in formulating an antibiotic policy for appropriate empirical therapy.
 
Keywords: Gram positive organisms, Gram negative organisms, Mechanical ventilation, ventilator associated pneumonia (VAP), Antibiotic susceptibility testing


How to cite : Saritha Y, M.s.s P , Balla N V D B, Mohammed N B, Vishnuvardhan Rao K, Bacteriological Profile and antibiogram of isolates from tracheal secretions of patients in an intensive care unit. IP Int J Med Microbiol Trop Dis 2021;7(4):250-256


Copyright © 2021 by author(s) and IP Int J Med Microbiol Trop Dis. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (creativecommons.org)





Article History

Received : 03-08-2021

Accepted : 18-09-2021

Available online : 18-11-2021


View Article

PDF File   Full Text Article


Copyright permission

Get article permission for commercial use

Downlaod

PDF File   XML File   ePub File


Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

Article DOI

https://doi.org/10.18231/j.ijmmtd.2021.052


Article Metrics






Article Access statistics

Viewed: 52

PDF Downloaded: 16



Wiki in hindi